The New Bedford Women’s Center
“The door to a future free from violence.”
“To empower and support positive choices for all to educate and take action in the community for prevention of oppression and violence.” –Women’s Center Mission
The Women’s Center of New Bedford is a nonprofit organization truly dedicated to preventing and working to eliminate domestic violence in the local community and our society at large. The Center offers services to many local communities including Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fall River, Fairhaven, Freetown, Marion, Mattapoisett, New Bedford, Rochester, Somerset, and Swansea, Wareham, and Westport.
The New Bedford Women’s Center is the main office located on 405 County Street. The Center offers a wide variety of on site services and a 24- hour confidential & anonymous hotline (508-999-6636) with access to live immediate support and valuable resources including:
- Domestic Violence Program developed in 1978 offers a free 24 hour hotline with multilingual intervention, individual and group counseling, emergency safe homes, as well legal and medical support and advocacy
- Child Trauma Program developed in 1997 provides services to our youth trauma victims offering abuse evaluations, clinical assessments. Licensed child therapist are available on site at the New Bedford Center for treatment and diagnosis
- Sexual Assault Program developed in 1983 includes a 24 hour hotline with multilingual crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, legal and medical advocacy as well as many other support resources.
- Residential Services provide Emergency short term shelter, confidential shelter for Woman and Children of domestic violence, confidential and temporary shelter for woman effected by domestic violence AND substance abuse or mental health issues.
- Legal Advocacy provides a Safe plan MOVA (Massachusetts Office of Victims Assistance) 24- Hour Hotline Call Center support for 209A assistance. Court program managers are also on site at the Woman’s Center Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm.
- Medical Advocacy is available for Southcoast and Saint Anne’s Hospital with a 24/7 hotline response for sexual and domestic abuse survivors in the ER. Trained Professional Staff Members will be available within an hour to respond to calls and can act as advocates helping survivor’s access services and resources such as counseling and referrals.
- Counseling Services offer individual and crisis ongoing counseling for men, woman, and children as well as workshops and group counseling for children, teens and adults.
- Prevention Education and Community Outreach offers schools, organizations, and many other community services valuable education and training aimed at increasing awareness of all kinds of violence. Outreach communities range from medical and faith communities extending to the general public. School based Educational programs include K-12 grade local students and even extend to local colleges such as The Woman’s Center at Umass Dartmouth nursing and social work programs.
Civic Support is proud to name The New Bedford Women’s Center as our Spotlight of the Week and grateful for their continued passion and drive to keep violence out of our communities through providing the necessary support and resources promoting happy and healthy lives to maintain a safe and peaceful community at large!
For more information visit the Women’s Center Online at http: Thewomenscentersc.com
Or Onsite at:
New Bedford Center at 405 County street 02740 (Walk-ins Welcome!) 508-996-3343
24 HOUR HOTLINE: 508-999-6636
(Spanish & Portuguese bilingual support available)
Written by: Jenny Lee Paiva